According to YourEmployeeHandbook.com:
- Employees better understand their rights and responsibilities.
- A written employee handbook gives everyone the same set of rules to follow and informs employees of such policies without distortion or mistakes.
- Policies and procedures about legal issues such as harassment, discrimination, payroll practices, and federally guaranteed rights to which employees are included that can help owners protect their business.
- Gives employees rationale behind policies that might otherwise cause dissension or unhappiness.
- Provides a method of generating important feedback or suggestions from employees about company policies.
- Provides updated information about benefits programs available to employees and what steps are necessary to obtain those benefits.
- Employees with unsatisfactory or undesirable performance can be discharged with less risk when a handbook includes specific causes for dismissal and outlines a consistent disciplinary procedure.
- Helps to transfer much of the responsibility and burden of complying with government workplace regulations to employees.