Huffington Post selected seven cities that stake claim to the best pizza in America. Take a look at why Huffington Post chose each city:
New York City, New York — birthplace of American pizza; NYC “remains at the heart of American pizza culture today
- Trenton, New Jersey — gets the nod for its “distinctive old-world charm”
- New Haven, Connecticut — the small city “has earned a reputation for world-class pizza,, cultivating its own distinctive take on the Neapolitan style”
- Chicago, Illinois — ‘thick-crust deep-pan pizza… seems somewhat symbolic of American indulgence.” Huffington Post also recognized the city for stretching beyond its thick roots to other styles
- Providence, Rhode Island — was noted for the “variety of twists on traditional methods,” such as grilled and coal-fired pizzas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — with its strong Italian-American population has sparked a thriving pizza culture
- Boston, Massachusetts — has a reputation for its pizzeria heritage without its own definitive style.
Check out the Huffington Post list of its top seven pizza cities.
Who’s missing? What about cities west of Chicago or south of New Jersey? What’s your “Top 7″ pizza cities in the U.S.? Let the debate begin?