Domino’s Innovative DXP™ Created by Three Great Michigan Brands and an International Crowdsourcing Design Competition
ANN ARBOR, Mich., Oct. 21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — In its latest innovation as the recognized world leader in pizza delivery, Domino’s (NYSE: DPZ) is launching the Domino’s DXP™ (Delivery Expert), a specially designed and built pizza delivery vehicle. The DXP is the combined brainchild of former GM R&D executive Kenneth R. Baker, Michigan-based Roush Enterprises and Domino’s. To also include consumers’ input, hundreds of concepts were initially identified in an online crowdsourcing design competition hosted by Local Motors.
“The Domino’s DXP is the first purpose-built vehicle aimed at revolutionizing pizza delivery,” said Russell Weiner, president of Domino’s USA. “This innovation allows drivers to do their jobs with greater ease and efficiency, and demonstrates that Domino’s is absolutely fanatical about making perfect deliveries.”
The Domino’s DXP also represents a collaboration among three great Michigan brands: Domino’s, Roush and General Motors. “As a 55-year-old company born in Michigan, it is an honor to be able to partner with other great Michigan companies to produce the DXP,” said Weiner.
The design and production of the Domino’s DXP took over three years. It was born out of Domino’s passion for innovation and started with a five-stage crowdsourcing competition hosted by Local Motors, on the company’s open innovation platform called Open IO. The contest, called the Domino’s Ultimate Delivery Vehicle Challenge, fielded 385 entries from designers around the world. Then, Roush and Baker adapted the concept and worked closely with Domino’s to transform the Chevrolet Spark® (with its international style, tech-savvy command deck and nimble maneuverability) into a delivery vehicle for pizza and other menu items – ensuring hot and great tasting pizzas delivered right to your door.
Domino’s is working with Roush Enterprises to convert and deliver 100 DXPs to 25 markets across the U.S., including major rollouts in Boston, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, New Orleans, San Diego and Seattle over the next 90 days. Domino’s has contracted with Chevrolet dealers in the cities where DXP vehicles are being launched to deal with the nuances of the DXP, from ovens to accessories. These dealers will also partner with franchisees to hold local launch events to introduce the DXP in select markets.
Pizza delivery represents roughly two-thirds of Domino’s business and the DXP represents the latest innovation in this space. In the U.S. alone, Domino’s delivers about 400 million pizzas a year and delivery drivers cover roughly 10 million miles each week – equivalent to 21 round trips to the moon. Over the years, Domino’s has revolutionized pizza delivery with other innovations including the corrugated pizza box, Domino’s Tracker® , the Heatwave bag and ordering by text, Twitter and emoji.
Consumers spotting DXP vehicles can share their sighting via social media using the hashtag #DXP. More information about the DXP can be found at www.dominosdxp.com, a site created by Domino’s advertising agency CP+B, who were integral partners in the design and launch of the DXP.
DXP Special Features and Fun Facts
- The Domino’s-branded illuminated warming oven located behind the driver’s door and storage areas are designed for easy loading and unloading of pizzas and other menu items. The warming oven can hold two Heatwave™ bags and is quickly accessible to drivers with the touch of a key fob.
- The interior of the DXP includes both front and rear storage areas and features a non-slip, easy-to-clean surface to stabilize items during delivery. The car has been reconfigured with all but the driver’s seat removed, allowing the DXP to hold large orders for schools, businesses and special events as well as home delivery. The DXP has the capacity to accommodate up to 80 pizzas, along with Domino’s other menu items including salads, wings and 2-liter bottles of soda.
- The DXP comes equipped with a puddle light projecting the Domino’s logo on the ground. The front fascia displays the Domino’s logo, and the side panel displays the reflective graphic of the Domino’s brand. Other details include hubcaps with the Domino’s logo and the recognizable illuminated Domino’s car topper.
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) named the DXP’s base vehicle, the Chevrolet Spark, a 2015 Top Safety Pick in its minicar segment. With an outstanding combination of the latest safety and technology features, drivers can feel confident with the DXP’s protection in case of an emergency.
- To keep the DXP vehicles in top operating condition, Chevrolet dealers in the cities where DXP vehicles are being launched have been trained to service the DXPs.
- The DXP comes equipped with the OnStar® navigation system. The OnStar navigation system will help drivers stay on course with turn-by-turn directions and connections to 9-1-1 in case of emergency.
- With an EPA estimated 39 MPG highway, the DXP should provide the kind of fuel economy franchisees welcome.
Its 1.2 liter engine makes the I-4 engine car fun to drive. With an EPA estimated 39 MPG highway, the DXP will provide the kind of economics franchisees welcome. The DXP features a continuous variable automatic transmission that adapts seamlessly to driver throttle input and speed for a comfortable ride.
“Even though Domino’s deliveries will still primarily be made in the personal cars of delivery drivers,” said Weiner, “the Domino’s DXP represents an innovative leap into the 21st century and takes delivery to a new level of efficiency and quality.”
About Domino’s Pizza®
Founded in 1960, Domino’s Pizza is the recognized world leader in pizza delivery, with a significant business in carryout pizza. It ranks among the world’s top public restaurant brands with a global enterprise of more than 12,100 stores in over 80 international markets. Domino’s had global retail sales of over $8.9 billion in 2014, comprised of more than $4.1 billion in the U.S. and nearly $4.8 billion internationally. In the third quarter of 2015, Domino’s had global retail sales of over $2.1 billion, comprised of over $1.0 billion in the U.S. and over $1.1 billion internationally. Its system is comprised of independent franchise owners who accounted for nearly 97% of Domino’s stores as of the third quarter of 2015. Emphasis on technology innovation helped Domino’s generate approximately 50% of U.S. sales from digital channels at the end of 2014, and reach an estimated run rate of $4.0 billion annually in global digital sales. Domino’s features an ordering app lineup that covers nearly 95% of the U.S. smartphone market and has recently introduced several innovative ordering platforms, including Ford SYNC®, Samsung Smart TV® and Pebble Watch, as well as Twitter and text message using a pizza emoji. In June 2014, Domino’s debuted voice ordering for its iPhone® and Android™ apps, a true technology first within traditional and e-commerce retail.
About Kenneth R. Baker
Widely recognized for his 1990s work on the development of General Motors innovative EV1 electric vehicle, Kenneth R. Baker has extensive automotive and technology experience. He served as the president and chief executive officer of Altarum Institute 1999–2007. Mr. Baker served as chief operating officer of Energy Conversion Devices Inc. prior to 1999. He served in various executive positions with General Motors Corporation from 1969–99, including vice president and general manager of the GM Distributed Energy Business Unit, vice president and general manager of GM Research and Development, and program manager of GM Electric Vehicles. He served as founding chairman of the United States Advanced Battery Consortia. He served as vice chairman of Energy Conversion Devices Inc., until 1999. Mr. Baker has been a Director of Ener1 Inc. since 2007. He has been a member of the advisory board at Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. since 2012.
About Local Motors
Local Motors is a technology company that designs, builds, and sells vehicles. From bytes-to-bits, the Local Motors open innovation platform, called Open IO, combines global co-creation with local micro-manufacturing to bring hardware innovations, like the world’s first 3D-printed car, to market at unprecedented speed. To learn more about and join the Local Motors community, please connect on facebook.com/localmotors or follow on Twitter @localmotors. Discover more at localmotors.com.
About Roush Enterprises
Founded in 1976, Roush Enterprises is a full-service product development supplier headquartered in Livonia, Michigan, with over 3,000 employees in facilities located throughout North America. Widely recognized for providing engineering, testing, product development and manufacturing services to the transportation industry, Roush also provides significant support to the consumer product, life science and defense industries. Service offerings include design, body, chassis, powertrain, electrical and NVH engineering, tooling, machining, rapid prototyping, advanced composites, fabrication and assembly.
Roush’s diverse customer base includes clients such as Ford Motor Company, Chrysler, General Motors, Navistar, General Dynamics, Textron, AM General, GE Healthcare, Stryker and Merck. Roush is a subsidiary of Roush Enterprises, Inc., parent company of Roush Fenway Racing; Roush Performance, developer and manufacturer of performance vehicles and products for the automotive aftermarket; Roush CleanTech, developer and manufacturer of propane-powered trucks and vans for the fleet vehicle market; and Roush Life Sciences, developer and manufacturer of products for the healthcare and life science industries. To learn more, visit www.roush.com.
The DXP Celebrates Standard Chevrolet Spark Features
Domino’s fell in love with the 2015 Chevrolet Spark and its smooth Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). The ECOTEC® 1.2L dual overhead can I-4 engine with variable value timing will give Domino’s drivers the power to move safely through traffic. Hill-start assist keeps brakes engaged for the split second it takes to lift your foot off the brake and hit the gas. Boasting a 39 MPG highway rating, parking is a joy with the Spark’s tighter turning radius.
Standard Vehicle Features
- ECOTEC 1.2 DOHC 4-cylinder engine
- Electric power steering
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with brake assist
- 4-wheel anti-lock brakes
- 10 air bags
- OnStar Directions & Connections standard for the first six months
- Hill-start assist
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Halogen headlamps with automatic exterior lamp control and daytime running lamps
- Rear spoiler with integrated high-mounted LED stoplamp
- 15″ split five-spoke silver painted aluminum wheels
- AM/FM stereo with seek-scan and digital clock
- 4-speaker sound system
- Auxiliary input jack
- Air conditioning with cabin air filter
- Driver information center
- Outside temperature display
- Cloth seats
- Auxiliary power outlet located in center stack storage bin
- OnStar with 4G LTE and mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for up to seven devices standard for three months or 3 GB (whichever comes first)
August 15, 2017 | Videos
Jay Jerrier, owner of Cane Rosso in Dallas, Texas, answers the question: how do you train your pizza makers? Cane Rosso has been named Pizza Today’s 2017 Independent Pizzeria of the Year. “How do You Train Your Pizza Makers?” is the second of a three-part series featuring Cane Rosso. Read More ›
August 11, 2017 | Press Releases
Donate school supplies, receive a free slice of pizza at Greenville Avenue Pizza Company What: On Thursday, August 17th, Greenville Avenue Pizza Company is hosting its 5th annual “Slices for Supplies” event, a charitable initiative to benefit a local DISD elementary school. Pizza eaters everywhere are invited to join in by swinging by GAPCo anytime… Read More ›
National Pizza Franchise Brings on New Franchisee to Further Develop Southwestern Presence MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. (August 11, 2017) – Hungry Howie’s Pizza, originator of the Flavored Crust® pizza, has inked a 20-store multi-unit agreement in Arizona with plans to open the new locations within the next five years. In addition, franchisee Fawzi Simon has also… Read More ›