The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Surveys Research Group has presented findings on the “Consumption of Pizza” in America this month.
This report presents results on American pizza consumption among U.S. children and adults during 2007-2010 by gender, age, and race/ethnicity. Highlights from the USDA report include:
- About 1 in 8 Americans consumed pizza on any given day. More than 1 in 4 males, ages 6-19 years, consumed pizza on a day.
- For adults, whites were more likely to consume pizza than either blacks or Hispanics; for children, there were no differences by race/ethnicity.
- On the day consumed, pizza provided about one-fourth of the total daily energy.
- When consumed pizza contributed about one-third of the daily intakes for sodium and calcium, and more than half of the daily intake for lycopene.
- For adults, the majority of pizza was consumed at dinner. For children, the distribution was similar for lunch and dinner.
The study shows that 13 percent of the U.S. population consumed pizza on any given day.
The percent varies depending on age range: 22 percent for older children (6-11 years) and adolescents (12-19 years) to less than six percent for seniors (60 years and older).
View the report: Consumption of Pizza.
Look for our analysis of the USDA report in upcoming Pizza Headlines.
August 23, 2017 | Videos
Jay Jerrier, owner of Cane Rosso in Dallas, Texas, answers the question: how did you know you were ready for expansion? Cane Rosso has been named Pizza Today’s 2017 Independent Pizzeria of the Year. “Ready for Expansion?” is the last of a three-part series featuring Cane Rosso. Read More ›
August 15, 2017 | Videos
Jay Jerrier, owner of Cane Rosso in Dallas, Texas, answers the question: how do you train your pizza makers? Cane Rosso has been named Pizza Today’s 2017 Independent Pizzeria of the Year. “How do You Train Your Pizza Makers?” is the second of a three-part series featuring Cane Rosso. Read More ›
August 11, 2017 | Press Releases
Donate school supplies, receive a free slice of pizza at Greenville Avenue Pizza Company What: On Thursday, August 17th, Greenville Avenue Pizza Company is hosting its 5th annual “Slices for Supplies” event, a charitable initiative to benefit a local DISD elementary school. Pizza eaters everywhere are invited to join in by swinging by GAPCo anytime… Read More ›