Ah, Shucks! Great Clam Pie
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
Serves: 1 12-inch pizza (scale up in direct proportion)
- 3 tablespoons garlic-infused extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove crushed garlic (use 2 cloves if you are a garlic lover)
- 1½ cups canned chopped clams, juices reserved
- 2 teaspoons (or to taste) dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons reserved clam juice
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Garlic infused olive oil to brush on the entire crust.
- Crush 1 clove of garlic into 3 tablespoons of quality olive oil. Let it sit at room temperature for several hours.
- Canned chopped (not minced) clams. For a 12-inch (diameter) pie you will need about 1½ cups (juice reserved separately).
- Brush the entire crust (shell) with the garlic oil.
- Spread the clams evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle on the oregano and the thyme. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle the reserved clam juice over the pie (except for the crust edge).
- Add the red pepper flakes.
- Bake the pizza. Add the minced fresh parsley just before sending it out.
- Chef’s Notes: Add additional crushed or thinly-sliced garlic as needed for, say, a Garlic Lover’s Clam Pie.
- Add an additional flavor dimension by adding chips of crisp bacon or pancetta (sprinkle it on right after you spread the clams over the crust).
- While it is true that this is a white clam pie, you can add color, texture and flavor by layering on strips of roasted red peppers (just before baking).