Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
Serves: 3 dozen cookies
- 2¼ cups blanched whole almonds, plus more for garnishing
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 15 glazed cherries or other fruit
- Lightly oil two large baking sheets; line with parchment paper.
- In food processor, combine almonds and ⅓ cup sugar.
- Process until finely ground, scraping down sides once or twice.
- Set aside.
- In electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Reduce speed to medium and gradually add remaining sugar.
- Return speed to high; beat mixture until stiff, shiny peaks form.
- Gently fold in ground almond mixture; add almond and vanilla extracts.
- Roll mixture into one-inch balls, place two inches apart on baking sheets; flatten slightly.
- Top each with cherry or almond.
- Bake in 350°F oven until cookies are golden, about 20 minutes.
- Cool on sheets 5 minutes; transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Store, wrapped in walk-in for several days or freeze up to three weeks.
- For service, re-crisp in warm oven.
- Cook’s note: For Amarettini cookies (mini versions), make into ½-inch balls; reduce cooking time to 15 minutes.