Courtesy of Mike Bausch Andolini's, Tulsa, OK "We're starting to see these tasty appetizers pop up on pizzeria menus in the South and Midwest." ~ PT Editors.
Author: Pizza Today
- 1 cup raw sushi rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 large portabella mushroom chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- ¼ cup Parmesan
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Saute the minced onion and mushroom in the olive oil along with the sausage and garlic.
- Once the onions are translucent and the sausage is cooked, add the rice and the chicken stock.
- Simmer on a fairly low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan.
- Set aside covered and let cool.
- Scoop and roll rice balls to desired size.
- Let them chill, then bread them with a standard breading procedure (flour, egg wash, bread crumbs).
- Keep them refrigerated until ready to fry at 350 F for about 4 to 5 minutes.