- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast or 1/2 ounce fresh yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
Instructions 1) In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let sit for 10 minutes. Add the olive oil and stir to combine.
2) In a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flourand salt. Add the yeast mixture. Mix well and knead until the dough issmooth and soft (about 6 minutes).
3) Divide the dough into two equal pieces and ball each piece. Placethe balls of dough on a lightly floured baking sheet or sheet pan. Dustthe tops lightly with flour. Cover with plastic wrap and a kitchentowel. Let rise for at least 2 hours.
4) Lift each ball of dough from the baking sheet and press each into alightly oiled 10-inch round baking pan that has 1-inch-high sides. Rubthe top of the dough with olive oil. Cover the pans and let the doughrise for 30 minutes.
5) With stiff fingers, punch holes in the top of the dough using twofingers. Bake the focaccia in a preheated 425°F oven for 25 to 30minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.