Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- ¾ pound ground chuck
- 7 cups tomato puree or ground canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon each dried oregano and basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, set over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil for 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the onion and parsley to the pot.
- Raise the heat to high.
- Add the wine and boil rapidly for 2-3 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and add the sausage, crumbling it with the tines of a fork.
- Add the ground chuck.
- Cook and stir until the meat is no longer pink—about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil and sugar.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Makes about 1 ½ quarts sauce.
- It will keep in the cooler, covered, for 4-5 days. Scale up in direct proportion.