Bruno’s Famous Clam Pie
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 10-ounce ball of your in-house pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons clam juice
- 12 or 13 Littleneck clams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for the sauce and 1 teaspoon for brushing on the dough
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 thick sliced bacon slice, or 2 slices of Italian pancetta cut into small dice
- ¼ yellow onion, chopped (makes 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons chopped clams
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 can whole tomatoes, drained and hand torn into small pieces and left to drain again
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ½ cup whole milk grated mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- I only had about 13 Littleneck clams so I had to add chopped canned clams. If you double the fresh clams in this recipe, it doubles the clam flavor.
- Pull out dough ball and proof at 76-80 F until the toppings are done. Preheat oven to 470 F.
- Using a small sauté pan on high heat, add the clam juice and the 13 clams. (If you have all fresh clams, double the clam juice and upgrade to a larger pan.) Cover and steam for 5 to 8 minutes until all the clams have “popped.” This may take a few shakes of the pan to coax some clams open.
- Put the clams in a bowl.
- Place the juices in a separate bowl.
- Using the same pan under medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the bacon and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion.
- Sauté for 5 minutes until the onion and garlic are translucent and the bacon is just getting golden brown.
- Add the chopped clams, clam juice and white wine to the pan.
- Turn to high and reduce for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes. Sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring until the sauce is not watery.
- Take off the heat.
- Bang out your pizza dough.
- Brush with the extra virgin olive oil and dust with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the mozzarella on the dough.
- Place the clam topping all over the pizza and slide the pizza and parchment onto the preheated cookie sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes.
- Place the opened clams on the pizza.
- Put back in the oven and cook for 5 more minutes or until the bottom is dark golden brown and the crust is a golden brown.