Bruschetta con Pomodori e Basilico (Bruschetta with tomatoes and basil)
Author: Pizza Today
- 18 slices rustic-style bread, about 3-by-2 inches, ¾-inches thick
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound tomatoes almost dead ripe, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18-20 fresh basil leaves cut into a chiffonade (roll the leaves into a cigarette shape and slice crosswise).
- Toast or grill the bread on both sides. Rub one side of the bread with the garlic. Set aside. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper, and fresh basil. Toss well. Portion the tomato-basil mixture among the bread slices.
- To make Bruschetta con Pomodori e Arugula, make the bruschetta as noted above and top each bruschetta with chopped arugula (about ¼ pound).