Calamari Fritti (Fried Squid)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 5 pounds whole squid, cleaned, rinsed, body sac cut into ¼-inch rings, tentacles cut in half
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 ½ cups semolina flour or Wondra
- 5 teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- Oil for deep-frying
- Fresh lemon wedges, for garnish
- Warm marinara sauce, for dipping
- Place the milk in a large bowl.
- Add the calamari rings and tentacle to the milk and let sit for 10 minutes (refrigerate if holding longer).
- In a clean paper to plastic bag, combine the flour, pepper and salt.
- Shake and blend.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees
- Lift the squid rings and tentacles from the milk and place them into the bag.
- Shake well to coat.
- Transfer the coated ring and tentacles from milk to a fine-mesh strainer or sieve and shake off excess flour.
- Drop the squid by handfuls into the hot cooking oil.
- Fry until golden brown—no longer than 3 minutes.
- Lift from oil and drain.
- erve with fresh lemon wedges and marinara sauce.