- 5 pounds whole squid, cleaned, rinsed, body sac cut into ¼-inch rings, tentacles cut in half
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 ½ cups semolina flour or Wondra
- 5 teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- Oil for deep-frying
- Fresh lemon wedges, for garnish
- Warm marinara sauce, for dipping
Instructions 1. Place the milk in a large bowl. Add the calamari rings and tentacle to the milk and let sit for 10 minutes (refrigerate if holding longer).
2. In a clean paper to plastic bag, combine the flour, pepper and salt. Shake and blend.
3. Heat the oil to 375 degrees
4. Lift the squid rings and tentacles from the milk and place them into the bag. Shake well to coat.
5. Transfer the coated ring and tentacles from milk to a fine-mesh strainer or sieve and shake off excess flour.
6. Drop the squid by handfuls into the hot cooking oil. Fry until golden brown—no longer than 3 minutes. Lift from oil and drain. Serve with fresh lemon wedges and marinara sauce.