- 2 firm eggplants (about 2 1/2 pounds), unpeeled and cut into tubes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 very ripe Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup green pitted olives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions t In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, olive oil, celery, onions and tomatoes. Toss to coat the mixture with the olive oil. Spread the eggplant mixture evenly on a sheet pan. Roast the eggplant mixture until it softens slightly (about 20 minutes, but time is relative to the heat and style of oven used).
Put the roasted eggplant and vegetables into a large sauté pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Combine well.
Cook, uncovered, at a low simmer until there is little liquid left in the pan. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate if not using within two hours.