Author: Pizza Today
- 2 firm eggplants (about 2½ pounds), unpeeled and cut into tubes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 very ripe Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- ½ cup green pitted olives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- t In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, olive oil, celery, onions and tomatoes.
- Toss to coat the mixture with the olive oil.
- Spread the eggplant mixture evenly on a sheet pan.
- Roast the eggplant mixture until it softens slightly (about 20 minutes, but time is relative to the heat and style of oven used).
- Put the roasted eggplant and vegetables into a large sauté pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Combine well.
- Cook, uncovered, at a low simmer until there is little liquid left in the pan.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate if not using within two hours.