- One 14-inch pizza shell
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
Instructions In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil until simmering. Add onion and garlic; cook covered for 10-15 minutes, or until the onion is very tender, stirring occasionally. Cool the onions; set aside.
Saute spinach in the same pan until just wilted; press out excess liquid. Spread dough with the cooled onion mixture; add spinach, mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake until golden brown, sprinkle basil atop before serving.
Cook’s note: Add crumbled bacon to round out the spinach-salad theme.