Caramelized Red Onion and Spinach Pizza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- One 14-inch pizza shell
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil until simmering.
- Add onion and garlic; cook covered for 10-15 minutes, or until the onion is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Cool the onions; set aside.
- Saute spinach in the same pan until just wilted; press out excess liquid.
- Spread dough with the cooled onion mixture; add spinach, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake until golden brown, sprinkle basil atop before serving.
- Cook's note: Add crumbled bacon to round out the spinach-salad theme.