- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 pounds onions, sliced
- 1 cup garlic
- 1 quart dry red or white wine
- 8 (3-3 ½ pound) whole chickens, skinned and quarted
- ¼ oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 3 #10 cans concentrated crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
Instructions 1. Heat the oil in 1 large or 2 medium rondos and cook the onions over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until they begin to soften and color.
2. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, or until it begins to turn light gold.
3. Pour in the wine. Add the chicken pieces, oregano, hot pepper, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and stir well to combine.
4. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook stirring from time to time for 1½ -2 hours or until the chicken is tender.
5. Let cool off until you can handle the chicken. Pour off any remaining sauce into a bowl. Separate the bones from the meat into ½-inch pieces and add back to sauce.
Topping suggestion: build a pizza with a tomato and cheese base, top with the chicken sauce, cooked sliced mushrooms and some grated Parmesan and Romano.