Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 pounds onions, sliced
- 1 cup garlic
- 1 quart dry red or white wine
- 8 (3-3 ½ pound) whole chickens, skinned and quarted
- ¼ oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes
- 3 #10 cans concentrated crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in 1 large or 2 medium rondos and cook the onions over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until they begin to soften and color.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes, or until it begins to turn light gold.
- Pour in the wine.
- Add the chicken pieces, oregano, hot pepper, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook stirring from time to time for 1½ -2 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Let cool off until you can handle the chicken.
- Pour off any remaining sauce into a bowl.
- Separate the bones from the meat into ½-inch pieces and add back to sauce.
- Topping suggestion: build a pizza with a tomato and cheese base, top with the chicken sauce, cooked sliced mushrooms and some grated Parmesan and Romano.