Courtesy of John Gutekanst, Avalanche Pizza, Athens, Ohio
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 1 pound ground, fatty pork
- 1¾ ounces smoked paprika
- ⅛ ounce garlic powder
- 1/16 ounce salt
- ½ ounce chopped roasted garlic
- 2½ ounces browned pizza cornicione, (pizza crust) chopped in small dice (You can also use a bread.)
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 ounce fresh chopped basil
- 2 ounces diced red onion, roasted or sautéed with oil until translucent
- Pinch oregano Pinch coriander
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch pepper
- The next day, roll out into 1½-ounce balls and place on a parchment-paper covered large sheet pan.
- Place into a 425 F oven for six minutes and then pull out and roll each ball so as not to burn and/or flatten the bottom of each ball.
- Cook for another five to eight minutes until done.
- You can slice each meatball in half to get the wonderful half-sphere effect on pizzas or quarter them if you need a better “spread” on the pie.
- Place plastic wrap over bowl and refrigerate overnight to let flavors meld and set.
- Cook’s Note: If you have less fatty pork, you can incorporate small chunks of bacon into this mix. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a gloved hand.