Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry Marsala
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces esprsso or brewed strong coffee, cooled
- 24 ladyfingers (savioardi)
- Cocoa powder
- Put the egg yolks, the whole egg, and the sugar in a double boiler arrangement over simmering water.
- Whisk the eggs constantly until they thicken into a light custard.
- Add the Marsala and combine.
- Whisk a bit more.
- Turn out of the bowl into a pan to cool.
- Cream the mascarpone.
- Set aside.
- Beat the whipping cream to the soft peak stage.
- Add the sugar.
- Beat to the stiff peak stage.
- Fold the mascarpone into the whipped cream, then fold that mixture into the cooled egg/sugar mixture.
- Assembly: Use a pan or glass dish that is about 8x8 inches.
- Working one by one, dip a ladyfinger into the cooled espresso.
- A quick dip in an out (the ladyfingers will absorb more of the coffee than you think) works best.
- Put a thin layer of the mixture over the bottom of the pan.
- Fit 12 lady fingers into the pan (trimming as needed).
- Layer half of the remaining cream mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Fit 12 more ladyfingers into the pan (dipping each into the espresso first).
- Layer in the rest of the cream mixture and smooth it out.
- Screen (sift) the cocoa powder liberally over the top.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Serve in squares portioned to about two and one-half inches square.