Cream Sauce (aka béchamel)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
- ⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, melt the butter (do not let it brown).
- Stir in the flour.
- Cook and stir until the mixture gets thick and pasty.
- Add the milk in a steady stream while whisking.
- Stir until thickened, about
- -3 minutes. Off heat, add the garlic.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Let the sauce cool to room temperature before using on pizza.
- If the sauce thickens too much, add a bit more warm milk.
- For pizza, spread a thin layer of sauce over the pizza shell.
- Add additional toppings, crumbled sausage, vegetables, etc.
- For pasta, toss cooked and drained pasta with the sauce.
- Sauce works great for lasagna, too.
- To expand the sauce usage, swirl in some pesto sauce after adding the Parmesan cheese.
- Makes enough sauce for one 14-inch pizza.