Crispy Artichoke Hearts
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 1 pound artichoke hearts. If frozen, thaw; if canned, drain (Pat dry in both cases.)
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Cut the larger hearts in half lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Parmesan & oregano.
- Dip artichoke halves in the egg, allowing excess to drain back into the bowl, then into the flour mixture, turning to coat all over.
- Deep-fry in batches (about 4 min. until golden & crisp).
- Drain onto paper towels.
- Serve with a Dijon-dill dipping sauce on the side. Or, if you want to take the easy (yet delicious) route, use a bottled ranch dressing.
- Put dipping sauce in a small ramekin in the center of a large plate.
- Arrange the fried artichoke hearts around the ramekin.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley (optional).
- It is hard to gauge a serving portion, because of the varying size of the artichoke hearts.