Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: desserts
- GANACHE FILLING
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (or use chocolate morsels)
- 1 boxed chocolate cake mix
- (Directions on box) - eggs, vegetable oil, water
- Combine whipping cream and corn syrup in a saucepan set over med. heat.
- Bring to simmer, stirring to combine.
- Put chocolate in a stainless steel bowl.
- Pour simmering cream mixture over chocolate & stir to combine & smooth out.
- Let sit for 5 min.
- Place the bowl in the freezer for 25 min. (stir occasionally) until ganache is firm & can be scooped with a spoon.
- Butter & flour (shake out excess) eight 4-ounce ramekins.
- Set ramekins on a sheet pan.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Make cake batter.
- Follow package instruction (you will need vegetable oil, eggs, water) on the chosen cake mix box.
- To assemble: Fill each ramekin with about 3 tablespoons of cake batter.
- Make a well in the center by pushing batter up the sides (the bottom of the ramekin should not be visible, however).
- Scoop another 2 tablespoons of the cake batter on top of the ganache the point being to "seal" the ganache between two layers of cake batter.
- The batter should come up to about ¼-inch from top of ramekin.
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven for 15-20 mi. until tested clean or
- cakes spring back lightly to the touch.
- Let cool for a min. or two.
- You can serve at once by removing cake from the ramekin (run a knife
- around the edges to loosen) and then plating & garnishing it. Or
- leave cakes in the ramekin for later use (you will need to reheat the
- cakes a bit before serving).
- Unmold & garnish as needed.