Eggplant alla Parmigiana
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 2 medium eggplants, washed, sliced a bit less than ¼-inch thick
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups marinara sauce or seasoned pasta sauce
- Prep the eggplant slices by laying then on a sheet pan and brushing one side with olive oil.
- Broil until golden brown. You can broil both sides or just one. Grilling the slices is an option - but if grilling, slice thicker so they won't fall apart.
- Using a pan that is about 9 x 15 x 2 inches, spread about ¼ cup of marinara sauce over the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of prepared eggplant, overlapping the slices slightly.
- Add another thin layer of sauce, Sprinkle on a teaspoon or two of the grated Parmesan followed by ¼ of the mozzarella.
- Continue in this fashion until the cheeses and sauce are used up, ending with a generous layer of shredded mozzarella on top,
- Cover the pan with foil and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 30 min.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 to 20 min., or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Pans of eggplant parmigiana can be made in this fashion, covered and stored in the cooler for up to four days.
- Reheat as needed and serve with added heated marinara sauce.