- 6 large, firm eggplants (7-8 pounds total weight)
- Olive oil
- 2 quarts prepared and seasoned tomato sauce
- 2 pounds mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano to taste
Instructions 1. Trim the ends of the eggplant (don’t peel), and make lengthwiseslices about ¼-inch thick. Brush each slice with olive oil and grill onboth sides until just cooked through.
2. Brush three 18x12x2-inch baking or lasagna plans with olive oil.
3. In each plan, arrange eggplant, sauce, and cheeses in layer asfollows: eggplant, sauce, parmesan and mozzarella. Make three layers,finishing with the mozzarella. Sprinkle mozzarella with oregano.
4. Bake until the eggplant is bubbly hot and cheese topping is melted and speckled brown.
5. Allow eggplant to cool to room temperature.
6. Slice eggplant into squares or rectangles (relative to the shapeof the bread you are using for your sandwiches). Place the eggplantbetween the bread slices. Serve with pepperoncini garnish.