Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sandwich
- 6 large, firm eggplants (7-8 pounds total weight)
- Olive oil
- 2 quarts prepared and seasoned tomato sauce
- 2 pounds mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano to taste
- Trim the ends of the eggplant (don't peel), and make lengthwise slices about ¼-inch thick.
- Brush each slice with olive oil and grill on both sides until just cooked through.
- Brush three 18x12x2-inch baking or lasagna plans with olive oil.
- In each plan, arrange eggplant, sauce, and cheeses in layer as follows: eggplant, sauce, parmesan and mozzarella.
- Make three layers, finishing with the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle mozzarella with oregano.
- Bake until the eggplant is bubbly hot and cheese topping is melted and speckled brown.
- Allow eggplant to cool to room temperature.
- Slice eggplant into squares or rectangles (relative to the shape of the bread you are using for your sandwiches).
- Place the eggplant between the bread slices.
- Serve with pepperoncini garnish.