Penne with Escarole, Beans, and Sausage
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage (remove casing if necessary)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 head escarole or spinach, trimmed, washed, chopped coarse
- 1 19-ounce can cannelloni beans, drained, rinsed
- 4 ripe plum or Roma tomatoes, seeded, diced
- ¾ pound penne or other short pasta such as rigatoni, cooked until al dente and drained thoroughly
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Warm the olive in a large sauté pan.
- Add the sausage and cook it through, crumbling the larger pieces.
- Add the garlic, chicken broth and escarole.
- Cook until the escarole wilts.
- Add the beans and tomatoes.
- Simmer the mixture over low heat to reduce the liquid.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the sausage and escarole mixture.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Serve in large, heated pasta bowls with crusty Italian bread and grated Parmesan.