Penne Rigate with Smoked Mozzarella and Asparagus Tips
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Entree
- ¾ pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch sticks
- 12 ounces penne rigate (quill noodles)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ pound smoked mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large saucepot.
- Add the asparagus; cook 3 minutes until tender, but still crisp.
- Drain the asparagus, then shock in cold water to stop further cooking.
- Using the same boiling water, cook pasta until al dente.
- In the meantime in a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat; add onion, sauté 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; add garlic and sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, thyme leaves and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup of pasta water. Return pasta to the pot; toss with remaining olive oil.
- Add reserved pasta water to the sauce; stir.
- Combine pasta with the sauce, then add cubes of smoked mozzarella.
- Toss well.
- Serve immediately so that the cheese melts from the heat of the pasta and sauce.