Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 3 cups (or 29 ounces) of fresh ground pork
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted fennel seed
- 1 cup good natural casing, cupping pepperoni
- 1 cup bacon crumbles
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix the ground pork with all the seasonings in a bowl.
- Place the pepperoni, bacon and extra virgin olive oil in a pan and toss together.
- Roast in your pizza oven at 475 F for 3 to 4 minutes until the pepperoni is leaching juices into the oil and is just getting crisp around the edges.
- Pull from oven and let cool.
- Place the pepperoni/bacon mix in a container and mix on high with an immersion blender or into a food processor and grind until it looks like a chunky sauce. (You can add some of the pork mix to get the immersion blender going.)
- Add the pepperoni/bacon mix to the sausage and mix well with your hands.
- Place in refrigerator overnight to meld flavors.
- When ready to use on a pizza, pinch quarter-sized chunks off and place on top the cheese.
- This sausage mix will leach the most incredible juice onto the pizza causing you to grunt just like Frankenstein