Fried Stuffed Olives
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 12 dozen California black olives, large or extra large, pitted*
- 5 ounces garlic, minced
- 5 ounces anchovy paste
- 1 ounce lemon zest, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- Olive oil to taste
- Drain the olives; reserve for stuffing.
- Combine the garlic, anchovy paste, lemon zest and thyme to make a paste.
- Using a pastry bag with a small tip, stuff the olives with the paste.
- Roll the stuffed olives in the flour and dip into the beaten eggs.
- Toss the olives in the breadcrumbs, then fry in the olive oil at a moderate temperature (150-275 F) until golden brown.
- Drain the fried olives on absorbent paper.
- COOK'S NOTES: *Rinse olives before filling so the flavor isn't too salty.
- With a moderate temperature, the olives do not burn on the outside
- before they are cooked throughout the center.