- 4 unpeeled small red skin potatoes about ½ pounds
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ pound link Italian sausage, casing removed and meat crumbled
- ½ cup chopped red or green bell peppers or a combination
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 cup liquid eggs (or 4 lightly beaten jumbo eggs)
Instructions 1. In a saucepan of boiling water, boil the potatoes until they are tender but not soft. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and dice them. You will need about 1 cup.
2. Preheat the boiler. In a 10-inch non-stick omelet pan or skillet, warm the oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper. Cover the pan and sweat the peppers for 4 minutes. Add the potatoes. Stir and cook until the potatoes just start to take on color. Drain off excess liquid from the pan.
3. Stir in the black pepper and fennel into the liquid eggs and add the eggs to pan. Push the potatoes around to allow the eggs to even out. At the frittata cooks, run a knife between the edge of the frittata and the pan, tilting the pan to let the eggs trickle to the edge. When the bottom of the frittata is set, move the pan to the preheated boiler or cheese melter and cook until the stop is set, about 1-2 minutes. Remove the pan from the boiler and run a knife between the pan and the omelet to loosen it. Place a service plate over the omelet pan and invert the pan to release the frittata onto the plate.