Fusilli Lunghi with Shaved Fennel and Sausage in Cream Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 1 small bulb fresh fennel (about ¾ pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ pound fusilli lunghi cooked almost al dente
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim and clean the fennel by cutting off the feathery top.
- Cut the bulb in half lengthwise and cut away the small triangular core.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, shave each fennel half into paper-thin slices.
- Place the fennel in cold water and set it aside.
- In a sauté pan or skillet large enough to hold all the cooked pasta, warm the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the sausage, crumbling it into small pieces.
- Cook and stir until the sausage has been cooked through.
- Drain off fat.
- Pour the whipping cream into the pan.
- Bring the cream to a steady boil.
- Reduce the heat.
- Drain the reserved fennel and add it to the pan.
- Simmer the sauce for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the pan with the cream and sausage.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes to heat the pasta and coat it with the sauce.
- Divide the pasta between two heated serving bowls.
- Sprinkle half the Parmesan over each serving.