- 1 small bulb fresh fennel (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound fusilli lunghi cooked almost al dente
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Instructions 1. Trim and clean the fennel by cutting off the feathery top. Cut the bulb in half lengthwise and cut away the small triangular core. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, shave each fennel half into paper-thin slices. Place the fennel in cold water and set it aside.
2. In a sauté pan or skillet large enough to hold all the cooked pasta, warm the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the sausage, crumbling it into small pieces. Cook and stir until the sausage has been cooked through. Drain off fat.
3. Pour the whipping cream into the pan. Bring the cream to a steady boil. Reduce the heat. Drain the reserved fennel and add it to the pan. Simmer the sauce for 7 to 8 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Add the cooked and drained pasta to the pan with the cream and sausage. Cook and stir for 2 minutes to heat the pasta and coat it with the sauce. Divide the pasta between two heated serving bowls. Sprinkle half the Parmesan over each serving.