Recipe courtesy of Oliveto Restaurant and Café
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 2.2 pounds pork shoulder, diced
- 4 ounces pork fat back, diced
- 11/3 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Insta Cure #2
- 1¾ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dextrose
- 2 tablespoons distilled water
- ¼ teaspoon T-SPX starter culture
- 2 12-inch links beef middles, rinsed of salt and soaked in water for half an hour
- Place meat and fat on a sheet tray.
- Freeze for at least half an hour to harden meat.
- Grind through a meat grinder with a ⅜-inch plate.
- Add remaining ingredients except starter culture.
- Mix until all is incorporated.
- Dissolve starter culture in 30 milliliters of distilled water.
- Add to meat mixture and mix until mass becomes sticky and looks homogenous.
- Stuff tightly into casings.
- Tie both ends. Ferment at 70 F. degrees for 48 hours at 90-percent humidity.
- Remove and place in a drying environment at 55 to 60 F with 75-percent humidity for 6 to 8 weeks or until it loses 30 percent of its starting weight.