- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 medium Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 4 split crusty roll
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
Instructions 1. Preheat grill or broiler
2. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Brush both sides of each mushroom with lemon juice mixture, using all of the dressing.
3. Place mushrooms on a grill or a broiler rack pan rounded side up. Cook 3 minutes.
4. Turn mushrooms stem-side up; sprinkle with cheese, oregano, and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper. Continue cooking until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
5. Place each mushroom into a roll and sprinkle basil. Top with slice tomato and red onion, if desired. Serve.