- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch lengthwise slices
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 14-inch lengthwise slices
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and quartered lengthwise
- 4 sandwich rolls or other bread
- 1/2 cup Olive Asiago Tapenade (recipe follows)
- 4 ounces Stella Asiago cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces Stella provolone cheese, sliced
Instructions Combine oil and vinegar, brush onto both sides of eggplant, zucchini and red pepper slices. Grill or broil until just softened and brown. Place peppers in plastic bag until cool; remove skins. (Vegetables can be prepared ahead and held at room temperature for several hours.)
Split bread in half lengthwise. Spread 1 tablespoon Olive Asiago Tapenade on each half of bread. Place 1 ounce aged cheese on bottom half, and one ounce provolone cheese on top half. Bake or broil until cheese is melted.
Layer 1 slice of eggplant, 2 slices of zucchini and 2 red pepper quarters on bottom half, then finish with top half. Serve immediately or keep warm until serving.
OLIVE ASIAGO TAPENADE
Yield: 1 cup
- 2 cups pitted black olives, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 ounce Stella Asiago cheese, freshly grated
Place all ingredients except cheese in blender or food processor. Process until olives are coarsely chopped, about 18- to 14-inch pieces. Stir in cheese. Store in refrigerator.
CHEF’S NOTE: Romano or Parmesan cheese maybe substituted for Asiago.