Italian Style Barbecued “Hot Links”
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
Serves: Approximately 1 quart (enough for 5 pounds of boned meat, chicken, or fish)
- 5 pounds Italian link sausages (preferably hot or smoked)
- 1 quart of “Good Basic BBQ”* sauce or the sauce of your choice
- *Good Basic BBQ Sauce
- ½ cup cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard (the mildly spicy yellow kind)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 8 ounces sweet butter, cut into bits
- 2 cups tomatoes sauce (your choice)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 4 freshly finely slice jalapenos
- ¼- ½ teaspoon (to taste) Tabasco sauce
- 5 pounds boneless meat, chicken, or fish of your choice
- Prick the sausages all over with a fork and grill or roast in the oven until they are evenly browned and cooked through.
- Let them cool off before slicing into ½-inch pieces
- Combine the cooked sausage slices with the sauce and use on pizza.
- In a 2-quart saucepan combine the vinegar, brown sugar, honey, mustard, ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper, onion, and butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat and continue to simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke and continue simmering 15 minutes longer.
- Add the jalapenos and Tabasco sauce and continue simmering for 5 minutes more.
- Let the sauce cool down completely before basting it onto the meat or fish of your choice.