- 15 pounds lean chopped meat
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 pounds onions, peeled and diced
- 1 cup garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon oregano
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of pepper
- 2 #10 can ground tomatoes
Instructions 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Spread the chopped meat out in a single layer on three sheet pans. Roast covered for approximately 15 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink.
3. 3. Drain the meat or fat through a strainer or a colander.
4. Heat the oil in a large (24-inch) rondo (or other large low pan). Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown and tender
5. Add the garlic, meat, oregano, bay leaves salt, pepper, and tomatoes.
6. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring from time to time, for about 1 hour.
7. Taste and correct seasonings-if necessary.
Topping suggestion: Mozzarella, meat sauce, dot with ricotta, and sprinkle with Romano cheese.