Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sandwich
- 1 large (1- to 1-1/2-pound) loaf (rond if possible) Italian bread, split in half horizontally
- 5-6 ounces giardiniera
- 2 tablespoons of the liquid from the giardiniera jar
- 1 cup pimento-stuffed olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ pound sliced mozzarella
- ¼ pound sliced capocollo
- ¼ pound sliced Genoa salami
- ¼ pound sliced mortadella
- ¼ pound sliced provolone
- If using a round loaf of bread, split it horizontally and pull out some of the bread from the bottom half to form a pocket for the olive salad.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the giardiniera, giardiniera liquid, pimento olives, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper and olive oil. (Can be made hours ahead.)
- Spread the olive salad evenly into the pocket of the bottom piece of bread.
- Layer in the mozzarella, capocollo, salami, mortadella, provolone (in that order) over the olive salad.
- Put on the top lid of bread and press down gently to seal.
- Wrap the muffuletta tightly with plastic wrap.
- Can be kept at room temperature for an hour.
- Cut into serving pieces (6 to 8, your choice).
- Garnish each plate with pepperonchini and olives.