- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup button mushrooms, halved
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup white-wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon snipped basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head of red-leaf lettuce, shredded
Instructions Place vegetables in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and olive oil; whisk until well blended. Add celery seed, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over the vegetables. Stir gently; cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
For service, drain the vegetables; reserve marinade. Lay down the red-leaf lettuce; spoon vegetables atop. Finish with a drizzle of marinade.
Cook’s note: The marinated vegetables an be used as a pizza topping, calzone filler, or part of an antipasto platter.