Marinated Vegetable Salad
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: salads
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup button mushrooms, halved
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions chopped
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 cup white-wine or white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon snipped basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head of red-leaf lettuce, shredded
- Place vegetables in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine vinegar, sugar and olive oil; whisk until well blended.
- Add celery seed, basil, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the vegetables.
- Stir gently; cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- For service, drain the vegetables; reserve marinade.
- Lay down the red-leaf lettuce; spoon vegetables atop.
- Finish with a drizzle of marinade.
- Cook's note: The marinated vegetables an be used as a pizza topping, calzone filler, or part of an antipasto platter.