Melazane alla Parmigiana
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 2 eggplants; medium size; peeled; cut into 14-inch circles
- ¼ cup Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups cold tomato sauce
- Fresh basil - leaves no stems
- ⅛ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- 4 ounces Flore di Latte, sliced
- Place eggplant circles onto a non-reactive tray lined with parchment paper.
- Gently sprinkle salt and pepper onto eggplant, coating both sides.
- Cover eggplant with parchment paper and top with a tray.
- Place a 2-3 pound weight onto tray.
- Leave overnight in refrigerator.
- Pour oil into a heavy bottom pan and heat over medium.
- Remove eggplant from refrigerator, discard liquid and pat eggplant dry.
- Dredge eggplant in flour and place into hot oil.
- Cook until eggplant turns deep brown.
- Place cooked eggplant onto a glazing rack.
- Allow eggplant to rest one hour.
- In a 6-inch cast iron skillet, add a large tablespoon of tomato sauce and arrange alternating layers of eggplant, basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Top with Flore di Latte.
- Place into a preheated 350 F oven for 20 min.