- 2 eggplants; medium size; peeled; cut into 14-inch circles
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups cold tomato sauce
- Fresh basil – leaves no stems
- 1/8 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- 4 ounces Flore di Latte, sliced
Instructions Place eggplant circles onto a non-reactive tray lined with parchment paper. Gently sprinkle salt and pepper onto eggplant, coating both sides. Cover eggplant with parchment paper and top with a tray.
Place a 2-3 pound weight onto tray. Leave overnight in refrigerator.
Pour oil into a heavy bottom pan and heat over medium. Remove eggplant from refrigerator, discard liquid and pat eggplant dry. Dredge eggplant in flour and place into hot oil. Cook until eggplant turns deep brown.
Place cooked eggplant onto a glazing rack. Allow eggplant to rest one hour.
In a 6-inch cast iron skillet, add a large tablespoon of tomato sauce and arrange alternating layers of eggplant, basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Top with Flore di Latte. Place into a preheated 350 F oven for 20 min. Serve.