Mozzarella in Carrozza
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 12 slices soft white bread
- 6 thick slices (about 1 pound) part-skim, low moisture mozzarella
- 4 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Lay 6 slices of the bread out on the work surface.
- Lay one slice of mozzarella on each slice of bread.
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread to form sandwiches.
- Cut the crust edges of the bread slices away.
- Press edges of the bread to seal (it will not seal entirely).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lightly beaten eggs with the milk, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- Dip the sandwiches int he egg mixture one by one to coat (let the excess run off) and set aside.