Neapolitan-style Thin-Crust Pizza Dough
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: dough/breads
- Ingredients 1-1/2 ounces active dry yeast
- 11 pounds (at around 85-90 F) water
- 4 ounces salt
- 20 pounds flour (11 to 12 percent protein)
- In the mixing bowl, whisk the yeast into the water.
- Whisk in the salt.
- Add the flour.
- Mix for 2 min. at low speed, then about 10 min, at medium speed, or until the dough cleans the side of the mixing bowl and is soft and supple.
- Dough management: The critical step in dough management is the proofing, so no cutting corners on this step.
- You have two choices: Choice #1: leave the dough in the mixing bowl (or transfer it to another bowl) and cover it with a damp cloth. All the dough to rise for 1 hour. Now form the dough into balls and arrange them on proofing trays then put the dough into the cooler (cross-stack the trays for about 20 min. to allow the cool to hit the dough balls) for a slow rise overnight.
- Choice #2: form the dough into balls at once after mixing. Then the balls go onto proofing trays, then directly into the cooler for an overnight rise.
- With either choice, the dough should come out of the cooler at least one hour before the first make-up.