Pappardelle with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- Large red bell pepper, halved and trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup fresh basil, plus 4 leaves for garnish
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Pecorino)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-pound box pappardelle noodles
- Place red-pepper halves skin-side down on an oven rack in 400°F oven.
- Roast 15-20 minutes, or until the skin shrivels.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, cover garlic cloves with cold water; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes until softened.
- Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Reserve water in the pan.
- Toast walnuts in a warmed frying pan (without oil), stirring constantly, over medium-high heat just until they start to turn golden.
- Remove from heat; place on paper towels.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in the saucepan with reserved water, adding more water to cover as necessary.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside and blot to dry.
- Reserve the water in the pan.
- In a food processor, blend roasted red pepper, garlic, walnuts and sun-dried tomato with fresh basil, Parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the olive oil slowly until the mixture is smooth.
- Set the pesto aside. (You can freeze or refrigerate for later use.)
- Prepare pasta according to directions; drain, reserving ¼-cup pasta water.
- Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl; add pasta, mixing in pasta water until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with additional grated cheese.