Parmesan and Cracked Pepper Grissini
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: dough/breads
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon malt syrup or sugar
- 1-14 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for brushing the dough
- 3-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup semolina four, divided
- ½ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the yeast and malt (or sugar) into the warm water.
- Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the flour and salt; stir until the dough comes together.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 min.
- Pat the dough with your hands into a 14x2-inch rectangle on a well floured surface.
- Lightly brush the top with olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap; let rise until doubled, about 1 hours.
- Sprinkle the dough with semolina flour before cutting and stretching.
- Cut the dough crosswise into 20 strips, each about the width of a cigar.
- Place the grissini several inches apart on lightly oiled baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and pepper, then with olive oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Gently press toppings into dough; remove plastic wrap.
- Sprinkle with semolina.
- Let the dough rise until almost double, about 45 min.
- Bake the grissini for 20 min. at 400 F.