Pasta all' Amatriciana
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 8 ounces guanciale, pancetta or good bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
- 1 ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 16 ounces dried linguine, spaghetti, or other thin pasta
- 4 ounces freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- In a large sauté pan over low, render guanciale in oil until crispy and golden.
- Remove guanciale with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add onion to pan sauté until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, pepper flakes and salt; cook about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil.
- Cook spaghetti al dente; drain and add to sauté pan.
- Add pecorino romano.
- Toss until pasta is well coated with sauce.
- Divide pasta among 4 warm pasta bowls.
- Top with additional grated Pecorino.
- Serve immediately.