- 8 ounces guanciale, pancetta or good bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
- 1 ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 16 ounces dried linguine, spaghetti, or other thin pasta
- 4 ounces freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Instructions 1. In a large sauté pan over low, render guanciale in oil until crispy and golden. Remove guanciale with a slotted spoon and reserve. Add onion to pan sauté until golden brown.
2. Add tomatoes, pepper flakes and salt; cook about 10 minutes
3. Meanwhile, bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti al dente; drain and add to sauté pan. Add pecorino romano. Toss until pasta is well coated with sauce.
4. Divide pasta among 4 warm pasta bowls. Top with additional grated Pecorino. Serve immediately.