Pasta e Fagioli
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 2 cups (5 ounce) tubetti or ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup hopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup each diced carrots and celery
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain well.
- Set aside.
- Keep it warm.
- In a heavy pot set over medium heat warm the oil for 1 minute.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Cook and stir for 2 to 3 min.
- Add chicken broth and parsley.
- Reduce heat to a steady simmer and cook for about 20 min.
- Add the beans, salt and pepper.
- Keep the soup at serving temperature.
- To order, ladle portions into heated soup bowls.
- Add the cooked pasta.
- Serve with grated Parmesan.
- COOK'S NOTE: To make a "red" version, simply add 1 cup tomato puree to the pit with the chicken broth.