Pasta Jambalaya with Sausage and Chicken
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
Serves: Serves 4 to 6 (scale up in direct proportion)
- 1 pound penne rigate, ziti or rotini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ pound shrimp
- ¾ pound andouille sausage, diced into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup yellow onion, small dice
- ½ cup green bell pepper, small dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Cajun spice mix
- ½ cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup canned plum tomatoes, crushed by hand and drained
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- penne rigate, ziti or rotini, cooked in boiling salted water until al dente.
- Reserve ½ cup of the pasta water (the starchy water enhances the pasta “sauce”).
- Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Keep it warm.
- Over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil in a large saute pan for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Add the Cajun spice mix.
- Stir and cook until the chicken and sausage and bell pepper are cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes.
- Cook and stir to reduce a bit. Add the reserved pasta water and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Put the cooked, reserved pasta in a heated pasta serving bowl.
- Add the jambalaya sauce and toss to combine.
- For each portion, sprinkle on the Parmesan just before serving.