- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 5 anchovy fillets, lightly chopped
- 12 Gaeta or kalamata olives, stoned and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
- 1 quart canned whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Instructions In a large saute pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the garlic. Cook the garlic until it just begins to turn golden brown. Discard the garlic.
Add the anchovy fillets and masht hem into a paste with a fork. Add the olives, capers and red pepper flakes. Turn the heat to low.
Crush the plum tomatoes by hand, and drain off excess water. Add the tomatoes to the pan with the anchovies and capers. Turn the heat to medium-high. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 min.
Cook the past in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain. portion the pasta among four heated pasta bowls. Ladle on equal amounts of sauce over the pasta. Top each dish with an equal amount of Parmesan. Serve.