Penne with Roasted Tomatoes
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 8 fresh plum or roma tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 ounces Gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ pound penne or ziti or other short pasta
- Cut about ¼-inch off the stem end of each tomato and cut the tomatoes in half crosswise.
- With you fingers or the tip of a spoon, scoop away seeds.
- Place tomatoes, cut side down, on baking sheet or sheet pan and roast under a preheated broiler about 4-inches from the heat for 6 minutes, or until the skin blisters and begins blackening. Remove from oven and pick of loosened skin with the tine of a fork and discard.
- Squash and chop the tomatoes lightly with the end of a wooden or plastic spoon; transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add garlic and basil and toss tomatoes to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter, Gorgonzola and parmesan, then add the mixture to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain pasta, and while still hot, add to the bowl with tomatoes and cheese.
- Combine rapidly and thoroughly.
- Divide among four pasta bowls, garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.