Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 6-7 cups mixed lettuces (red leaf, leaf, radicchio) or mesclun
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 4-5 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded & ubed
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-inch pizza shell
- 6-8 thin slices of provolone cheese (or 6 ounces of a shredded
- mozzarella/provolone blend)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuces, onion and tomatoes.
- Set aside or prep several hours ahead.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar & lemon juice.
- Whisk well to combine.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Lay the slices of cheese evenly over the crust up to the border.
- Bake the pizza until the crust is golden brown and the cheese starts to take on brown speckles. Allow pizza to cool for 10 min. or more (can be prepared to this point and held for up to 2 hrs., then reheated just a bit just before serving).
- To order, toss the salad with the dressing.
- Cut pizza into 4 wedges.
- Arrange a wedge (or two) on a large plate.
- Put the salad in the center of the plate.
- Sprinkle the greens with grated Parmesan (optional).
- NOTE: You can expand the possibilities by adding other ingredients. For example, draping thin slices of prosciutto over the salad. Or, add roasted red peppers, olives, and/or anchovies to the basic salad to jazz up the flavor.