Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: appetizers
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled, or pre-cooked Italian sausage crumbles
- 4-6 thin slices of fresh plum or Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brush the inside of the mushroom cap with the olive oil.
- Divide the sausage meat among the mushrooms.
- Divide tomato slices among the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of Parmesan cheese over the tomato.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of mozzarella over each mushroom.
- Sprinkle on the oregano.
- Set the mushrooms on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Broil or bake until the cheese is melted.
- CHEF'S NOTES: Amount of ingredients listed may vary slightly relative to the size of the mushrooms. Adjust accordingly. The idea is that the caps should be stuffed to the point of where the filling is slightly rounded (a stuffed mushroom needs to look stuffed) on top.