Pitta Calabrese (Calabrian Meat Pie)
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Pizza
- 1 16-ounce dough ball
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 pound course grind lean pork or beef
- 1 crushed cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup dry red white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cups ground tomato
- Follow the “Basic Technique of Stuffed Pizza” recipe to step 6 and prepare the filling in the following manner
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onions and cook until they are soft and lightly colored (about 5 minutes).
- Add the chopped meat and break up the lumps with a fork.
- When the meat is no longer pinker, add the garlic and fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper. Stir to prevent sticking and continue to cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes longer.
- Add the wine to the pan, turn the heat up to high and cook until the wine evaporates completely. Stir in the parsley and remove from the heat. Let cook while preparing the dough.
- Continuing with step 7, spread the meat over the dough.
- Top with the tomatoes and the cheese.
- Continue with the master recipe through completion.
- Variation: Substitute hot Italian sausage for the chopped meat, omit the fennel seed and cut the salt and pepper down.