Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: pizza
- 2 pizza shells, each rolled to 14-inches in diameter
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ricotta, drained of any excess water
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces cooked Italian sausage crumbles
- 1 pound shredded mozzarella (or mozzarella/provolone blend)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs with the salt, ricotta, Parmesan, Italian sausage and mozzarella. Combine well to make filling.
- Fit one piece of the rolled out dough into a 10x2 inch deep pizza or pie pan.
- Pour the filling into the pan and smooth the top.
- Place the second piece of dough over the filling.
- Roll, seal and crimp the edges.
- Brush the top layer of dough generously with the egg wash.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated 375 F oven for about 1 hour, until the top is golden brown.
- Let the pizza cool for 1 hour.
- Remove the pizza from the pan.
- Serve at room temperature, cut into wedges, or cover with plastic wrap and place in the cooler for future service.
- COOK'S NOTE: This is a two-crust pizza with a delicious twist and allows you to use up pizza dough that you might have laying around, along with just abut any ingredient you have on your prep table. This pie can be used in several different ways. Make, bake and use the same day. Make, bake and freeze for later use. Make, bake and offer as a take-out item.