Rigatoni with Chicken & Ricotta
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: entrees
- 1 pound rigatoni
- ½ cup chopped pancetta
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1-1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in 5-6 quarts of boiling, salted water until al dente.
- Just before pasta has finished cooking, scoop about 1 cup of water out of the pot.
- Scoop out the pasta & reserve, but keep the water in which the pasta was cooked warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, cook the pancetta over medium-high heat, stirring, until the fat is rendered and it is slightly crisp.
- Add olive oil, onion and chicken to the saute pan.
- Cook & stir until the onion is soft & the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Keep warm, over low heat.
- In a large pasta serving bowl or mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, basil, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to the bowl with the ricotta mixture.
- Add onion and chicken mixture. Add a small amount of the reserved pasta water, just enough to make a loose "sauce."
- Toss to combine.