- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/2 cup chopped pancetta
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1-1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Instructions Cook pasta in 5-6 quarts of boiling, salted water until al dente. Just before pasta has finished cooking, scoop about 1 cup of water out of the pot. Scoop out the pasta & reserve, but keep the water in which the pasta was cooked warm.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, cook the pancetta over medium-high heat, stirring, until the fat is rendered and it is slightly crisp Add olive oil, onion and chicken to the saute pan. Cook & stir until the onion is soft & the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Keep warm, over low heat.
In a large pasta serving bowl or mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, basil, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
Add pasta to the bowl with the ricotta mixture. Add onion and chicken mixture. Add a small amount of the reserved pasta water, just enough to make a loose “sauce.” Toss to combine. Portion. Serve.